CCTPEI Registration Exam (COMPASS)
Attention New Applicants!
You must register with CCTPEI and meet all registration requirements before accessing the COMPASS exam.
COMPAS exam dates fall 2023:
A candidate can choose one of these three dates: October 11, 12, or 13.
The deadline to indicate the intention to write the exam is August 25, 2023.
New Applicants to the College of Counselling Therapy of PEI must successfully complete the CCTPEI Registration Exam (also known as the Canadian Professional Standard for Counselling and Psychotherapy (CPSCP): Entry to Practice Competency Assessment).
The exam is offered by the COMPASS Centre for Examination Development, a national body established to develop and administer this assessment. It is a computer-based tool, available in both English and French, designed to be reflective of the diversity of psychotherapy traditions and practices. The exam assesses a practitioner's knowledge of various key entry-to-practice competencies and their information-gathering and decision-making skills in a variety of typical scenarios and simulations.
COMPASS has created the Entry-to-Practice Registration Examination Resource Manual to answer your questions about the development, structure and format of the registration exam. For more information about the exam, please visit the COMPASS website.
When can I write the exam?
The exam is offered twice per year, in the spring and in the fall, subject to change. As a New Applicant to the College, you will be informed of upcoming exam dates and the process to register for the exam. Please note that COMPASS requires 6 to 8 weeks to schedule applicants for the exam, and all other College entry requirements must be verified by the registrar prior to the start of this process. Please start your registration process with the College early!
Exam fee: $545 + tax (please note that all fees for the exam are paid directly to COMPASS)
Time to write the exam: 3 hours
Accessibility / Accommodations for the CCTPEI Registration Exam
If you have any accessibility or accommodations needs (such as extended writing time, separate room, service animal, etc.), please fill out and submit the Accessibility / Accommodations Request Form.
Steps for Completing the Registration Exam
- CCTPEI confirms that you are eligible to write the Registration Examination (approximately three months before the proposed administration date).
- You confirm your intention to write the Registration Examination with CCTPEI and provide requested information to CCTPEI staff by the requested deadlines.
- Formal application, with appropriate documentation for any accommodation, must be made at the same time that you indicate your intention to write the Registration Examination with CCTPEI. Use the Accessibility / Accommodations Request Form to apply.
- COMPASS Centre for Examination Development contacts you to confirm the status of your request for accommodation.
- Go to MonitorEDU website.
- Select your organization (CCTPEI).
- Follow the prompts to complete the proctored exam scheduling form.
- Use the dropdown menus and calendar to schedule your preferred examination administration time.
- Use the fillable form to complete credit card information to pay for your examination.
- A booking confirmation and e-mail notice arrives in your inbox.
- Protect this date in your calendar.
- Ensure you have administrator rights for the computer you will be using for the examination administration. All pre-testing of connectivity and technical requirements should be conducted with the technology and in the location at which you intend to write the examination.
- Ensure your computer has the minimum technical requirements including Google Chrome (50+), a webcam, and an operating system of Windows 7 or higher, or Mac OSX 10.15.x or higher. (Tablets, iPads, Chromebooks, Linux-operated systems etc., are not compliant with technical requirements). Some software programs and their extensions may need to be disabled during the administration of the examination for compliance and security reasons. You will also need a mobile phone as a secondary camera and connection point. All technology must be plugged in throughout the administration of the examination.
- Follow the instructions for required downloads as indicated by MonitorEDU BEFORE the date of your scheduled examination (i.e., download GoogleMeet application and secure lockdown browser at least 5 days before your examination). If you experience difficulties, refer to MonitorEDU FAQs.
- Be prepared to clear your cache following the exam administration.
REMEMBER: Your remotely proctored examination location and its technical equipment create a de facto individual test centre. You must maintain the same decorum and follow the same restrictions that would be in place if you were writing the examination in a public test centre with a proctor and other test-takers on site.