CCTPEI Registration Exam
New Applicants to the College of Counselling Therapy of PEI must successfully complete the CCTPEI Registration Exam (also known as the Canadian Professional Standard for Counselling and Psychotherapy (CPSCP): Entry to Practice Competency Assessment).
The exam is offered by the COMPASS Centre for Examination Development, a national body established to develop and administer this assessment. It is a computer-based tool, available in both English and French, designed to be reflective of the diversity of psychotherapy traditions and practices. The exam assesses a practitioner's knowledge of various key entry-to-practice competencies and their information-gathering and decision-making skills in a variety of typical scenarios and simulations.
COMPASS has created the Entry-to-Practice Registration Examination Resource Manual to answer your questions about the development, structure and format of the registration exam. For more information about the exam, please visit the COMPASS website.
When can I write the exam?
The exam is offered twice per year, in the spring and in the fall, subject to change. As a New Applicant to the College, you will be informed of upcoming exam dates and the process to register for the exam. Please note that COMPASS requires 6 to 8 weeks to schedule applicants for the exam, and all other College entry requirements must be verified by the registrar prior to the start of this process. Please start your registration process with the College early!
Exam fee: $545 + tax (please note that all fees for the exam are paid directly to COMPASS)
Time to write the exam: 3 hours
Accessibility / Accommodations for the CCTPEI Registration Exam
If you have any accessibility or accommodations needs (such as extended writing time, separate room, service animal, etc.), please fill out and submit the Accessibility / Accommodations Request Form.
Steps for Completing the Registration Exam
- CCTPEI confirms that you are eligible to write the Registration Examination (approximately three months before the proposed administration date).
- You confirm your intention to write the Registration Examination with CCTPEI and provide requested information to CCTPEI staff by the requested deadlines.
- Formal application, with appropriate documentation for any accommodation, must be made at the same time that you indicate your intention to write the Registration Examination with CCTPEI. Use the Accessibility / Accommodations Request Form to apply.
- COMPASS Centre for Examination Development contacts you to confirm the status of your request for accommodation.
- You receive an email transmission from Yardstick Assessment Strategies. In it, you will see the 'book and purchase window' with the directions for purchasing and booking your spot at the Registration Examination. The directions include the period during which you must purchase the Registration Examination and how to access the exam site by resetting your password. If this email transmission is not received within one month of you requesting the Registration Examination, please contact Yardstick by email at email@example.com. Please note: The Entry-to-Practice Registration Examination website has RED prompts. The self-assessment site has BLUE prompts.
- You register and book the examination by purchasing the Entry-to-Practice Registration Examination. After purchasing the exam, you will receive a confirmation email with the time at which you should be ready to write the Registration Examination.
- Ensure you have two pieces of government-issued identification (one must contain a photo), your booking confirmation notice, and your CCTPEI-issued identification number ready to show to the remote proctor.
- Write the Registration Examination.
- COMPASS Centre for Examination Development transmits examination results by your preferred medium between six and eight weeks after your date of writing.