Professional Currency Requirements
Within the three years preceding the registration or renewal, the applicant must have done one of the following:
- Completed a master's degree program in counselling therapy or education and training that the Council considers substantially equivalent;
- Completed at least 750 currency hours; or
- Completed a refresher program as approved by Council.
Currency hours activities
A broad range of activities directly related to the practice of counselling therapy counts as professional currency, including:
- Direct client contact work;
- Record-keeping and preparation related to direct client work;
- Conducting research or writing in the field of counselling therapy;
- Teaching (must be a course directly related to counselling therapy);
- Managing those in the field of counselling therapy;
- Consulting; and
- Other professional activities that impact the practice of counselling.
Members of the College track their professional currency hours in the HMS online registration system.