At the time of the formation of the College of Counselling Therapy of Prince Edward Island (as of August 1, 2021), any practitioner who holds an approved designation from the associations listed below, and is in good standing with that association, is considered a deemed registrant of the College:
- Association of Cooperative Counselling Therapists of Canada - MTC, RTC, AC
- Canadian Art Therapy Association - RCAT
- Canadian Association for Marriage and Family Therapy - RMFT
- Canadian Association for Spiritual Care - CSCP, CPST
- Canadian Association of Music Therapists - MTA
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association - CCC
- Canadian Professional Counselling Association - RPC, MPCC
- International Expressive Arts Therapy Association - REAT
- North American Drama Therapy Association - RDT
- Professional Association of Christian Counsellors and Psychotherapists - CPC
Applying by October 31, 2021
To maintain deemed registrant status, deemed registrants must renew their registration by October 31, 2021.
To renew their registration, deemed registrants must:
- Set up an account in the online registration system - HMS
- Complete all the mandatory information in their profile
- Upload proof of approved designation
- Upload proof of 2M liability insurance
- Upload a valid criminal record check (with vulnerable sector check) *
- Pass the Jurisprudence Exam **
- Pay the registration fee (Fee Schedule)
Applying after October 31, 2021
On November 1, 2021, deemed registration will expire and deemed registrants will need to complete the deemed registrant reinstatement process to join the College. Deemed registrants will have a maximum of 3 years (until October 31, 2024) to reinstate their deemed registrant status, after which they will need to apply to the College as New Applicant.
Please note that you may not use the title Counselling Therapist or the designation CT while your registrant status is lapsed.
To reinstate their registration, deemed registrants must complete all requirements for the renewal of deemed registrant status above and:
- Have completed 750 currency hours in the previous 3 years
- Pay the reinstatement application fee (Fee Schedule)
The registrar of the College will review all submitted information and documents, and if everything is complete and the payment has been received, approve the registration.
* If you have had a criminal record check (with vulnerable sector check) completed in the past 5 years, please use this document to complete your HMS profile. If you have not had a criminal record check done in the past 5 years, please contact the registrar for a letter of request. Please note that the expiry date of your criminal record check is 5 years from the date of issuance. As a registrant of the College of Counselling Therapy of PEI, you will be responsible to ensure that your criminal record check is renewed every 5 years.
** The Jurisprudence Exam is available through the HMS.